I think we’re all familiar with the concept of ‘Furry Drama’. The words just conjure up an image of an estranged ex-couple slating one another on opposite sides of the internet, flooding chatrooms with problems that nobody cares about. If not that, then the endless attention-seeking cries of an emotionally underdeveloped teenage furry threatening to kill themselves whenever anything doesn’t remotely go their way. I think we can all agree that THIS is the reason we hate things branded with the label ‘Furry Drama’ with such derision, we can all relate to a time that ‘Furry Drama’ ruined our evenings, or at least part of one.
However, the application has become completely different in recent years, to the point where I am really hesitant to ever use the word ‘Drama’ at all. If you’re unfamiliar, here is the new definition of what ‘Furry Drama’ or simply ‘Drama’ means.
‘Drama’ – Things people have said that I don’t like.
I’m in the boat of people that are sick and tired of having people just slap the ‘Drama’-word onto anything that they disagree with. It’s not just as simple as a word definition changing, oh no, it actually has to do with the direction that the Furry Fandom has been going in for the past decade or so. The reason we get in a state where people are unable to say anything in fear of being branded a ‘Drama-Llama’ has everything to do with the flawed idea that the Furry Fandom represents acceptance in its purest form. A shining beacon of acceptance that will tolerate and take in anything and anyone. The result? You’re being increasingly restricted to saying only positive things.
Acceptance above all
The Furry Fandom’s goal of acceptance has been going on for quite a while now. First it was creating a haven for LGBT people, and it’s produced a really interesting demographic where heterosexual people are a minority. The reason for this is still a mystery. The Furry Fandom accepts all kinds of genders, sexualities, religions, races, nationalities and colours. I can find little to fault in that pure idea. However, this has started to extend to accepting anything, and the boundaries on what is and is not acceptable are blurring all the time. Here are some of the things we’ve started accepting and tolerating within the Furry Fandom that have become ‘Normal’ for some or many people:
- Zoophilia is rampant, popular artists often draw zoophilic and bestiality porn, and well-known furries admit to being zoophiles. In some cases, furries have admitted to having sex with animals on numerous occasions.
- Cub porn is acceptable, despite the fetish that it entices being pedophilia. Cub porn is banned from Fur Affinity, but only because of advertiser complaints. Some cub porn remains on FA due to being drawn by high profile, high-connections artists.
- Nazi furs and fascist furs have been around for a long time, and only recently have people started doing anything about it.
- Scam artists are protected heavily, with criticisms and reports of scams being labeled ‘Drama’ and the scam victims being punished for it.
- Sexual abuse scandals are covered up on numerous occasions.
What isn’t ‘Drama’
Here’s some things that aren’t drama, but would likely be labeled as such:
- Linking to profiles of art/character thieves.
- Criticism of artists that aren’t completing work and aren’t giving out refunds.
- Linking to profiles of scam users that receive commissions but then do not pay, or charge back their credit card payments.
- Criticism towards users for being underage and being allowed to browse porn.
- Posting evidence of being stalked and harassed in the hopes of subduing the harassment.
- Posting screenshots of public comments/tweets/blog posts that self-incriminate a user.
- Warning people of a proven scam.
- Disagreeing with your opinion.
- Naming and identifying zoophiles and pedophiles, especially when they have sexually abused a child or animal.
- Not following the herd and doing what everyone else is doing.
I think most of the things on this blog that people agree are genuinely awful have been defended as being ‘Drama’ on my end time and time again. This isn’t an excuse for your deplorable behaviour and I’m not going to take it as an excuse any longer.
Cut that shit out.